Road trip to natural reserve, motor boat and walk
Day 1.- Arrival at the airport or bus station and transfer to our office for the arrangements and information related to the tour before leaving the city of Puerto Maldonado.
In case you have large luggage, we suggest that you repack and bring what is required in the Amazon rainforest. Then, transfer in a 4X4 vehicle for approximately 2 hours to reach the Tambopata River.
In this part of the trip, we took a motorboat to the lodge. After settling in the ecolodge we will have lunch followed by a walk through the jungle to see and learn. We will have the opportunity to see animals in their natural habitat such as, for example, amphibians, mammals, reptiles and wonderful insects.
On dinner, we will have a short briefing about next day activity
Visit the CHUNCHO Macaw clay lick
Day 2.- We get up early in the morning, at 4:30 am, to take a boat trip to the "collpa" (Quechua word meaning clay with minerals) of the most popular macaws of the Amazon called Chuncho.
We will make a trip of 1 hour and a half by motorboat, during the trip we will have the opportunity to see some animals such as, for example, capybaras, tapirs and it is even possible to see the largest cat in South America, the jaguar.
Many travelers are witnesses and bring photographic evidence of encounters with many of these wild animals.
After arriving at the macaw clay lick, we will first observe the arrival of large groups of parrots and parrots of different species, which arrive before the macaws to eat the mud located next to the clay wall on the river bank.
We will find a camouflaged place as close as possible to better see the clay lick from our chairs to await the start of one of the most beautiful bird watching views on the planet.
In a day of normal activity in the macaw clay lick, you will notice a great selection of these wonderful animals flying over you becoming an unforgettable experience.
Back to our ecolodge, we will have breakfast and rest after an exhausting activity. Then we will walk through the botanical garden where you can see some fruits, timber trees, and medicinal plants.
Before dinner to look for alligators (Alligators 3 species of them) in a motorboat in the darkness of the night along the Tambopata river.
Climb 30 meters high observatory tower
We wake up around 6:00 in the morning to see the Amazon rainforest Tambopata from a different perspective.
We will go up to some towers of more than 30 meters high, it allow us to appreciate the jungle from the air, this special place for birdwachers, every traveler will have a panoramic view of the forest.
From the platforms, you can see different species of birds. After breakfast, you will be transferred by the river to Puerto Maldonado to transfer it to the airport according to the departure time of the flight.
Questions & Answers
What time does this tour depart from Puerto Maldonado and arrive back in?
Arriving by bus?
- For people arriving by bus we start at 8:30 a.m departing from our office in Puerto Maldonado
Arriving by Plane?
- The first plane arriving to Puerto Maldonado is around 10:00 am and the last plane arrives at 4 p.m , so our first group will start the tour around 11:20
- For peope arriving later than 12:00 pm we will start tour around 1:00 p.m, for LATAM airlines arriving at 4:00 p.m we will start thetour as soon as posible
Already in Puerto Maldonado?
- For people that are already in a hotel the pick up will be around 8:00 a.m and start tour at 8:30 a.m approximately
What to bring for a 3 days jungle tour?
Amazon Rainforest suggested list excursion
- 1 Backpack rain cove
- Mesh laundry bag
- Toiletry bag with hygiene essentials
- one quart largemouth water bottles (we will provide you with water so you can refill it any time)
- Small headlamp with a L.E.D. bulb & extra batteries
- 1 pair or water shoes ( We will provide you with rubber boots at Jungle Lodge)
- Chaco o Teva type sandals
- 2 bottle of DEET bug repellent
- 1 bottle of sun screen (waterproof)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 pairs of underwear
- 1 bathing suits
- 1 shorts
- 1 rain jacket or plastic poncho
- 1 long sleeve shirts
- 3 short sleeve shirts
- 1 sweatshirts or sweaters
- wide brim hat
Pocket size English/Spanish dictionary
Guide book for Peru (lonely planet, rough guide, or similar) At least 1 novel to read
- 1 set Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof breathable material) pants and jacket storm gear
- Watch with alarm
- snorkel, fins, mask
- approach or summer hiking boot
- digital camera
Useful things to know before you go
- S/. Sol
- $/. Dollar
There are no vaccines required to enter Peru. If you decide to take medicines. These are suggested indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel.
- For HEPATITIS B
Recommended for Peru. Normally 2 months before travel.
- For RABIES
Recommended for Peru. Normally 1 month before travel.
- For YELLOW FEVER
Recommended for Peru. Normally 10 days before travel.
- Depending on the accommodation in the jungle, electricity hours are limited during the day, most hotels offer several hours in the evening, usually until 10 pm, allowing travelers to charge their personal items.