After your arrival in Puerto Maldonado you will experience the charm of the rainforest, while taking a motor boat ride for 1 hour along the Madre de Dios River to reach the Amazon reserve lodge. After a short briefing, sit in your beautiful bungalow and enjoy your lunch in the dining room. Take a nap, followed by a refreshing tea time and prepare for the afternoon excursion.
After meeting with your guide Inkaterra explorer, on your first day we will take a guided walk along the Trail system, towards the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica natural area, where you will discover the Amazon basin. This trail offers an excellent introduction to the jungle environment, passing impressive winding trees such as the Shihuahuaco and the strangely beautiful strangler tree, offering excellent opportunities to observe birds and observe exotic insects.
At dusk we will make an excursion along the river, a guided boat trip on the Madre de Dios river. Witness the transformation of a diurnal world to a nocturnal one: animals and birds of the day give way to species specially adapted to the night. While enjoying your paradise, you will learn about their habits, while looking for nightjars, owls, capybaras and large alligators.
Enjoy dinner, served in the main dining room from 7:30 p.m. at 9:30 p.m. After dinner, you can retire early to your own cabin, or join us to talk about your experience in the rainforest, while listening to the intriguing sounds of the jungle at night.
Wake up late or get up early: the choice is yours. Breakfast starts at 5:30 a.m., for those who want to avoid the heat and enjoy nature to the fullest. A full buffet breakfast is served from 5:30 a.m. at 9:30 a.m. This morning there is an excursion to Lake Sandoval located within the Tambopata national reserve.
You can glide in a wooden canoe, through a beautiful mirror-shaped lake that houses the giant otter in danger of extinction, as well as red howler monkeys, red-bellied macaws, anacondas, turtlenecks and black alligators. Return to the Eco Lodge for lunch.
After lunch, we will visit the remarkable Canopy Inkaterra catwalk and the Anaconda walk. As you ascend the first tower, 29 meters above the forest floor, your encounter with the kingdom of the treetops begins. For more than a quarter of a mile, you will literally walk through the rainforest canopy on a network of suspension bridge linking eight observation platforms. During this hour and a half expedition, watch out for the bright toucans, woodpeckers, trogons, monkeys and the three-toed sloth. If you wish, you can extend your excursion and appreciate the sunset from one of the towers.
After descending from the Canopy, experience the Anaconda walk for about 30 minutes along the 200-meter wooden bridge over the Aguajales swamps. In this lush ecosystem, you can observe the various species of amphibians, birds, mammals, abundant flora, trees and there is the possibility of seeing snakes from this flooded swamp. The walk ends when you return to the lodge. Once at the lodge, enjoy the daily presentation of nature at the Eco Center. Dinner starts at 7:30 p.m.
Enjoy a full breakfast before departure. A 45-minute return boat trip on the Madre de Dios River takes you to Puerto Maldonado, where you will visit the Butterfly House. Peru has the largest variety of butterflies in the world, with 3,700 known species. Many of these can be seen in Butterfly House, a showcase of the variety, beauty and adaptability of these fascinating insects.
Questions & Answers
What time does this tour depart from Puerto Maldonado and arrive back in?
Arriving by bus?
- For people arriving by bus we start at 8:30 a.m departing from our office in Puerto Maldonado
Arriving by Plane?
- The first plane arriving to Puerto Maldonado is around 10:00 am and the last plane arrives at 4 p.m , so our first group will start the tour around 11:20
- For peope arriving later than 12:00 pm we will start tour around 1:00 p.m, for LATAM airlines arriving at 4:00 p.m we will start thetour as soon as posible
Already in Puerto Maldonado?
- For people that are already in a hotel the pick up will be around 8:00 a.m and start tour at 8:30 a.m approximately
What to bring for this 4 days tambopata tour?
Amazon Rainforest suggested list excursion
- Backpack rain cove
- Mesh laundry bag
- Toiletry bag with hygiene essentials
- one quart largemouth water bottles (we will provide you with water so you can refill it any time)
- Small headlamp with a L.E.D. bulb & extra batteries
- water shoes ( We will provide you with rubber boots at Jungle Lodge)
- Chaco o Teva type sandals
- 1 bottle of DEET bug repellent
- 1 bottle of sun screen (waterproof)
- 4 pairs of socks
- 4 pairs of underwear
- 1 bathing suits
- 2 shorts
- 1 rain jacket or plastic poncho
- 1 long sleeve shirts
- 4 short sleeve shirts
- winter jacket and shell
- 1 sweatshirts or sweaters
- wide brim hat
Pocket size English/Spanish dictionary
Guide book for Peru (lonely planet, rough guide, or similar) At least 1 novel to read
- 1 set Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof breathable material) pants and jacket storm gear
- Watch with alarm
- snorkel, fins, mask
- approach or summer hiking boot
- digital camera
Useful things to know before you go
- S/. Sol
- $/. Dollar
There are no vaccines required to enter Peru. If you decide to take medicines. These are suggested indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel.
- For HEPATITIS B
Recommended for Peru. Normally 2 months before travel.
- For RABIES
Recommended for Peru. Normally 1 month before travel.
- For YELLOW FEVER
Recommended for Peru. Normally 10 days before travel.
- Depending on the accommodation in the jungle, electricity hours are limited during the day, most hotels offer several hours in the evening, usually until 10 pm, allowing travelers to charge their personal items.