We will begin the tour at 8:30 in the morning pick up from your hotel. We will have 2 hours of travel, the first hour on our interoceanic highway, then on a small road traveled to reach the banks of the Tambopata River. Our boat will be waiting for us, to move 30 minutes upriver to our ecolodge on the Tambopata river.
On the way we will observe capybaras and many coastal birds along the riverbank. Upon arrival at the hostel, we will receive a welcome drink. The administrator will give us a brief description of all our services during your stay with us.
We will provide your respective room. Then you can walk in a primary forest where, your guide will provide you with detailed information of the Tambopata national reserve, the uncontacted tribes, survival techniques, general information about the main medicinal plants and economic activities, in this part of the Peruvian Amazon
When it gets dark we will go by boat to the river to be lucky enough to observe alligators, capybaras and maybe some predator that is near the river at night wanting to hunt something.
Today we will visit the Chuncho Macaw clay lick, so we will get up very early and after a delicious coffee, we will continue at 5:00 am upstream for approximately 1 hour. With all the sunrise just for us in our boat.
We are quite likely to observe jaguars or perhaps an anaconda on the banks of the Tambopata national reserve.
Upon arriving at our destination, chuncho macaw lick clay. We will know a complete show of parrots and macaws, we will learn closely the reasons why these birds and many other mammals that need the clay of this wall in their daily diet throughout the year.
It is a unique show that entertains us, from 6:00 a.m. at 11:00 a.m. Our delicious breakfast will be in front of the Collpa Chuncho.
After this activity we will continue to our lodge where we will have our delicious lunch, after replenishing our energies, we will take our kayak and enter the waters of the Tambopata River to enjoy this highly safe and recommended activity.
Dinner at the lodge and then we will take our flashlights for a night walk in search of insects, arachnids, tarantulas and maybe some snake, armadillo, night monkey or some tapir near the Lodge.
We will wake up with the sounds of the birds and probably howler monkeys, depending on your flight departure time we will get our breakfast on the lodge or breakfast will be served in Puerto Maldonado city followed by 20 minutes down the river.
Then we will go 2 hours back to Puerto Maldonado and then pick up our jungle box lunch that we will eat in the boat in the way to Lake Sandoval, it is one hour by boat along the Madre de Dios river and then one hour walking to get to this lake that is more than a 100 year old and was part of the main channel of the river, now isolated deep in the jungle.
We will go by dugout canoe to an observation tower, where many monkeys, birds, turtles and black Caymans are spotted very easy.
Questions & Answers
What time does this tour depart from Puerto Maldonado and arrive back in?
Arriving by bus?
- For people arriving by bus we start at 8:30 a.m departing from our office in Puerto Maldonado
Arriving by Plane?
- The first plane arriving to Puerto Maldonado is around 10:00 am and the last plane arrives at 4 p.m , so our first group will start the tour around 11:20
- For peope arriving later than 12:00 pm we will start tour around 1:00 p.m, for LATAM airlines arriving at 4:00 p.m we will start thetour as soon as posible
Already in Puerto Maldonado?
- For people that are already in a hotel the pick up will be around 8:00 a.m and start tour at 8:30 a.m approximately
What to bring for a 3 days jungle tour?
Amazon Rainforest suggested list excursion
- 1 Backpack rain cove
- Mesh laundry bag
- Toiletry bag with hygiene essentials
- one quart largemouth water bottles (we will provide you with water so you can refill it any time)
- Small headlamp with a L.E.D. bulb & extra batteries
- 1 pair or water shoes ( We will provide you with rubber boots at Jungle Lodge)
- Chaco o Teva type sandals
- 2 bottle of DEET bug repellent
- 1 bottle of sun screen (waterproof)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 pairs of underwear
- 1 bathing suits
- 1 shorts
- 1 rain jacket or plastic poncho
- 1 long sleeve shirts
- 3 short sleeve shirts
- 1 sweatshirts or sweaters
- wide brim hat
Pocket size English/Spanish dictionary
Guide book for Peru (lonely planet, rough guide, or similar) At least 1 novel to read
- 1 set Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof breathable material) pants and jacket storm gear
- Watch with alarm
- snorkel, fins, mask
- approach or summer hiking boot
- digital camera
Useful things to know before you go
- S/. Sol
- $/. Dollar
There are no vaccines required to enter Peru. If you decide to take medicines. These are suggested indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel.
- For HEPATITIS B
Recommended for Peru. Normally 2 months before travel.
- For RABIES
Recommended for Peru. Normally 1 month before travel.
- For YELLOW FEVER
Recommended for Peru. Normally 10 days before travel.
- Depending on the accommodation in the jungle, electricity hours are limited during the day, most hotels offer several hours in the evening, usually until 10 pm, allowing travelers to charge their personal items.